Tuesday, March 20, 2007


My family and I are enjoying our new life here in the capital (D.C.) and the local cuisine. Being a Native Californian, this sandwich caught my eye and pleased my taste buds while nourishing my body. (from the place called Vegetate on 9th St. NW serves up vegetarian fare and provides the food at Mint Fitness’ juice bar. You can check them out at vegetatedc.com )

California Street Sandwich With Arugula Pesto
Multigrain bread
1 avocado
Baby spinach
Alfalfa sprouts
Cucumber

Arugula Pesto
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup arugula
½ cup basil
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste

Add pine nuts to blender, then add arugula and basil and chop 30-40 seconds. Remove to mixing bowl and whisk in olive oil and salt and pepper. Add sprouts, spinach, cucumbers and sliced avocado to multigrain bread and drizzle with pesto. Slice and enjoy!

No comments: